Here are some features and functions it might be useful to be familiar with when purchasing a Water Pump
- Float switch - switches the pump on and off at pre-determined limits, enabling the pump to be left unattended during operation
- Non-Return Valve – a valve designed to stop the already drained water running back down the pipe if the pump stops for some reason
- Filter - keeps unwanted material from getting into the mechanism.
- Anti Silt Base - prevents submersible pump becoming clogged by taking in too much silt
- Overload Protection – protects the pump and engine
- Mechanical Seal - keeps the water inside the pump.
Here are some terms it is useful to know for some of the basic functions
- Head - a word often used to describe pressure.
- Cubic Centimetres (cc) - a unit used to measure the displacement of the engine
- PSI - pounds per square inch – a measure of pressure
- Submersible - the pump may be situated under the water to be pumped.